Tuesday 4 January 2011

Les Conventions Françaises

Today I had a rather casual experience: sitting my first exam of the term. "Casual" not normally being an appropriate adjective for sitting an exam, unless you are doing it at the uni I'm currently studying at.

I'm not sure if it is just this uni - because, in all honesty, it's pretty rubbish - or all French unis but I was a bit shocked by the way the whole thing was conducted. I walked in, amidst many other students who were chatting away, took my own answer paper and rough work paper from a desk at the front and then sat wherever I liked (on the end of the row quite far back.) Entering an exam in England is so different; you are to be silent as soon as you enter the exam room and you take the seat that is allocated to you where your answer paper will already be waiting for you.

The room proceeded to fill up and people carried on chatting and sitting together; another difference: whenever I have taken an exam in a lecture theatre, we are told to sit with an empty seat between us. Not in this uni! Once (almost) everyone was present and seated, the lecturer began to explain the paper briefly whilst it was distributed among us. We have lackeys - sorry, exam assistants - back home to do that for us. And, in addition to explaining the paper, one of the people overseeing the exam treats us to a long speech about procedures, practices etc.

All the papers were given out and we were able to start. Glancing around the room, I noticed that everyone had their phones sat on the desk, some using them... What?! Back at home that phone isn't even supposed to be on your person let alone your desk or in your hand, while you text someone "Examen de merde!" (Or so I imagine.) The guy next to me could have even been suspected of cheating; he was constantly texting and looking at his phone and then writing. Even if he wasn't, anyone could have been.

Twice during the exam the lecturer (the only person overseeing the exam) decided we were to be trusted and left, not for a short while either. And everyone began to chat.

This whole experience baffled me, perhaps the French education system is more trusting of its students, perhaps it really is a reflection of how rubbish my uni is; or even just that particular module, or perhaps it is in-keeping with that blasé French attitude we have come to know and love.

If the guy next to me doesn't get full marks on the paper, then my faith in honesty and human decency will be restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment