Thursday 28 April 2011

To Wedding or Not To Wedding...?


Tomorrow, I will be among the minority of English people who are not watching the royal wedding. Not because I am completely uninterested and don't really see the point of the royal family (let alone some second-in-line-to-the-throne Prince's marriage to a commoner) which is true. It's actually because I will be stuck in a windowless classroom in a French university being told when it is grammatically correct to use the subjunctive and indicative tenses. But why should I care about something that will probably be as dull as conjugating French verbs in the subjunctive? I have no interest in the royal wedding, or any wedding unless it's on some trashy TV show. Yet, I do care and I'm actually contemplating missing my classes to watch the annoying thing because of peer pressure. Or not peer pressure exactly - I haven't been told I'll be totally uncool if I don't just try it once - but if everyone watches it and I don't, I'll feel totally out of the loop: "Remember in the wedding when..." Not only that, but my friends who are watching are going to get together at the pub...while I'll be doing four straight hours of French!

So there lies my dilemma: it would be terribly un-British of me to miss such a significant event, especially in favour of learning French. But then again, I shouldn't miss out on uni for such a petty reason, when I don't really care about it in the first place. Seems like my only solution is to miss the classes anyway, stay in bed, and get it when it comes out on DVD...

No comments:

Post a Comment